Seeing your home damaged is extremely stressful as a homeowner, and it’s difficult to know the right course of action. Will trying to clean up on your own help or just make things worse? No matter what kind of damage you’ve incurred, the very first thing you should do is take photographs as long as the area is safe for you to be in. If you have water damage, the best thing to do is extract as much standing water as you possibly can while you wait for help. If you have fans, set them to start drying things as much as possible. They won’t be enough to dry the area completely, but they can help to minimize the chance of secondary damages. In the event of mold or fire, it’s best to just leave the damage alone until a professional can address it. Disturbed mold can disperse spores throughout the home, and fire damages can worsen if improper cleaning techniques are used.